Friday, September 23, 2005

Adventures at Target

The alarm never went off this morning. Luckily, my husband instinctively woke up. He fiddled it and then it sounded. In a way. It was a low, dull, buzzing. Wouldn't wake anyone up.

I think I might have accidently spilled some cherry Juicy Juice on it yesterday, and that may have caused it, but let's keep that between us.

My oldest has a Jazz class on Fridays from 6:15 to 7:15. So we dropped her off and headed to the local Target to replace the clock. We picked up a few other items we needed: Lil Swimmers (the boy has a class 8:15 tomorrow morning, and I'm out), dishwasher detergent, Neutrogena T-gel, Capri-Suns. We also got a halloween costume for the boy. He originally chose duck, but then changed his mind to Spiderman. We go to check out, start unloading the cart, and then I remember that we forgot the alarm clock.

So I put everything back in the cart, and go after the clock. Being unsure where the alarm clock section is, I ask the nearest Target employee. She sends me to housewares, saying "by the pots and pans and dishes, at least, that's where I'd look."

There are no alarm clocks there.

So I ask another employee. He has no clue, so he he goes to a nearby knot of three employees, who also have no clue. This makes five Targeteers who have no idea where to find an alarm clock. But---one of them had a walkie-talkie, and places an inquiry over said device. I'm told "back wall of store, electronics department."

So, off I go. Unfortunately, they have a lot of models, by not many of them have actual boxes on the shelf. So, I settle for one that I like, and is in stock, and doesn't cost upwards of $20.

Near the clocks are the phones. We remember that we need a new phone. Ours picks up fundamentalist Christian radio (no, it's not cordless). Sometimes, the raving is so loud, it drowns out the person I'm trying to talk too. Which isn't always a bad thing.

While we were examining phones, middle child needs to pee. So, husband takes her to the bathroom at the front of the store. While they are gone, I select a phone. As I'm heading back up front, I pass the lamp section. I decide to get the girls a much needed new floor lamp for their room (long story). So I find a really cute one and it's only $13.

I turn around to put the lamp box into my cart and what do I see? An end cap full of alarm clocks. And these are a lot more reasonably priced. So I pick up one for $7.99 and put the other back. I make it up front just in time to grab the rest of the family coming out of the bathroom.

So we check out, pay, and are proceeding out the door when we trip the alarm.

At least, in the end, we made it back to the dance studio in time.