Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Hunt for Queer Priests

I just got this week's Newsweek (also This Rock--bit that's neither here nor there). Anyway, there's a small article revealing how the Vatican is sending inspectors into the seminaries to root out gay seminarians.

I know that the justification for this is the sex abuse scandal. The reasoning is that 81% of the abusing priests were homosexual. Or is it that 81% of the victims were male? Whatever.

The point is, is not a PEDOPHILIA problem, it's a HOMOSEXUAL problem.

I don't know. There's two priests at my parish. I call them "gay" and "gayer". I love "gayer". He's a great priest. Tries to stick to the GIRM. Realizes he's not there to push his own agenda, but to teach what the Church teaches. He's a catechetics maniac. He knows his apolegetics. Is well versed in the Early Church Father's. Is familiar with the Liturgies of many of the 22 other autonomous Churches which comprise the Catholic Church.

And he knows my son by name, by sight.

All in all, a very cool priest.

So I think these inspections are rather misguided.