Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Another Mark for the "Homeschool" Column

My little girl came home from school yesterday, telling me that she "peed a little". Apparantly, her teacher wouldn't let her use the restroom, she needed to ask like five times. So when she was finally able to go, she didn't quite make it.

Naturally concerned by this, I wrote the teacher a note. Supposedly, it's a rule in the classroom, you can go if the teacher says no and you have to. Why not just let the kid go in the first place. Why teach them to be subversive. (Actually I told her the same thing. Next time, just go. If you get a detention, I'll straighten it out. {There is a place for discerning civil disobedience}. I tried to recommend just pee on the floor, but my husband said that would brand us as psychos.)

Anyway, children are often intimidated by those in authority. Not many have the audacity to defy the teacher and go waltzing out of the classroom, or rather galloping, as the case may be.